Published on 12/11/2014
What should we consider when optimising a website for search engines?
1. Domain Address:
If you are looking to optimise a site in Ireland you should have an Irish domain address, e.g: www.seoirelandpod.ie
If you are looking to optimise a site to an international audience then you should have a .com address, e.g. www.seoirelandpod.com
- It is much easier to rank on Google.ie with an Irish website address.
- Contact your hosting company and ask them to change your website address.
- Make sure that if you are changing your website domain address that you redirect the old website into the new one.
Note: If your website is already ranking well leave as is. If you are starting an SEO campaign and you have a website not ranking well then change.
2. Your Homepage
- Information on your website needs to be easy for user to find.
- If possible keep all information on your website no more than 2 clicks from the homepage.
- Your top navigation should include your most important keywords if possible.
- Your homepage should include some text that includes your keywords.
- Homepage is the page that Google uses to understand your most important keywords so pay attention to the keywords on this page.
3. Site Content
- Target no more than 2 keywords per page.
- Create approximately 3 paragraphs of text per page
- The days of stuffing keywords into your website text to help them rank are long gone. You are looking for a keyword density of 2-3%. This means mention a keyword 2 or 3 times for every 100 words.
- Only use original and unique content. Content copied from another site or anywhere else online is penalised by Google under the duplicate content rule.
- Do not duplicate content even within your own site. Every page should have its own unique content.
4. Meta Tags
- When you search for a keyword in Google you are given a title and description of a website. You can determine what description is visible of your company using meta-title and meta description.
- In most modern websites you can access the meta tags through your content management system.
- Your meta tags and meta tags are what tells Google what your website is about and is one of the most important SEO factors.